Non-Plumbing Sanitary Permit Information

State law requires you to obtain a sanitary permit for any non-plumbing sanitary system to be located or installed on your property.

A soil test is required if you plan to install a pit type privy, however, a soils test is not required for a vault privy or other non-plumbing systems.


Vault Privies
Please refer to the specification diagram for vault privy regarding vault privy construction.


Pit Privies
A certified soil tester must perform a soils test and fill out a report to be filed with the County Zoning Administration. If the soils report allows for a pit, the pit must be dug at or above the system elevation, and must be dug at or within 5-feet of the boring site. The pit must have a minimum of 200 gallons. Benchmarks placed by the C.S.T.M. must not be removed.

Please refer to this specification diagram for pit privy for construction details.

Composting/Incinerating systems
All composting/incinerating toilets must be State of Wisconsin approved. The product must have the "NSF" mark on the product in order to be certified and code compliant. If you have any questions, please contact the zoning department. 


Portable Restroom Units
Portable restroom units (Port-A-Potty/Port-A-John) may only be used temporarily (maximum of 30 days) as a non-plumbing system. If you have a RV/Camper, you will need to apply for a Non-Plumbing Sanitary Permit. 


Non-Plumbing Agreement:

  • The Non-Plumbing Sanitation Agreement must be completed and signed by ALL property owner(s) and returned with the completed Application For Permit form. The fee for a Privy/Non-Plumbing system is $175.00. Checks are to be made payable to Ashland County Zoning. Please deliver or mail both applications and fees to the Ashland County Zoning Administration.
  • This form will need to be signed in front of a notary as well as get recorded with the Register of Deeds. There is a recording fee of $30. Please make the check out to the Ashland County Register of Deeds. 
  • Remember to use the correct legal description on all forms, and return all paperwork and fees to proper offices listed on each form. As a reminder, State law prohibits any construction on a property until all permits have been issued. Please check with your local and State agencies for any additional permits.

If you have any further questions please call the Zoning Office at 715-682-7014.