Children and Families


Mission Statement

The primary goal of the Children & Families Unit is to provide services to families and children that facilitate the support needed to enable families to remain intact, and/or to protect the well-being of children.


Services provided include investigation of child abuse and neglect reports received (initial assessments), youth juvenile services, custody studies, Foster Home Licensing, Kinship Care Services, Independent Living, CHIPS/JIPS disposition, juvenile mental health services, groups for first time offenders, and parenting education. Emergency Services are accessible 24 hours a day.


How To Report Child Abuse or Neglect:


  • Monday through Friday 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM: Call 715-682-7004 (This number can also be used to request services for yourself or a family you know.)
  • After Hours/Weekends/Holidays: Call 715-685-7640
  • For EMERGENCY situations call 911


Who can report child abuse or neglect?

  • Any person who thinks child abuse and/or neglect has happened or might happen can make a report to Child Protective Services (CPS) agency or law enforcement.
  • By law, there are specified professional persons who are required to report child abuse or neglect.  They are referred to as Mandated Reporters.


Signs of Child Abuse & Neglect


Safe Haven for Newborns Information

Safe Haven, also known as “infant relinquishment,” allows a parent to leave their newborn in a safe place in certain circumstances with certain individuals.


Child Protective Services

Child Protective Services (CPS) intervention is warranted whenever there is a report that a child may be unsafe, abused or neglected, or be at risk of abuse or neglect.  The purpose of the Child Protective Services system is to identify and alter family conditions that make children unsafe or place them at risk for abuse or neglect.

The Scope of CPS includes Access, Initial Assessment and Ongoing Services.  CPS is an integrated system of intervention that identifies conditions that make children unsafe or put children at risk of abuse or neglect and then provide services to families to assure the children are safe and protected. 


Youth Justice

Youth Justice (formerly referred to as Juvenile Justice or Juvenile Delinquency) works with youth that have been adjudicated delinquent for an offense that would be a crime if they were an adult or referred for habitual truancy. A social worker assigned to the case gathers information about the family in order to determine the best course of treatment and services.  


Foster Care

If you are interested in becoming a licensed foster care provider please call 715-682-7004 and ask to speak to Children’s Unit Intake or send an email to: and a social worker will contact you within 2 business days of receiving that email.